Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Grandpa Dahm's Memorial

On October 18, 2013 we flew out to California to celebrate the life of my Grandpa Dahm. Upon request his ashes were spread into the ocean off of the Redondo Beach coast, the place where he grew up. It was different then anything I'd ever been to. Traditionally, when someone close to me passes away it usually is the same "good-bye" process every time, a viewing and a burial ceremony. As awful as the whole scenario is, it helps to come to terms with the loss, and put some sort of final closure on it all. For some reason, I thought, being cremated and having your ashes spread or held on to in a jar, was not a way you could fully move on and say good-bye. I was wrong. The boat ride to the coordinates where the ceremony would begin was calm and peaceful. It was misty from the ocean and just cold enough to need a sweater. Even though Camden was being a horrible terror, I could still feel the presence of the spirit. It was a slow ride as we reached the point where his ashes were spread. It really wasn't like a funeral at all. We said our good-byes, shed some tears, gave hugs and condolences, tossed petals and roses in the water, and the boat circled once around what was my grandpa and we sailed away. I  watched the petals in the distance until I couldn't see them anymore, I instantly I felt closure. My grandpa was happily laid to rest, the way he wanted to be, in his favorite place in the world. Cremation seamed so crazy to me. Why would you want to be burned? Why would you want to be left as ashes for others to carry? On the boat ride I understood. It may not be everyone's choice, certainly not mine, but I understood. Why wouldn't you want to be left somewhere that you love instead of in a cemetery where you never spent time at all? A place that is a constant reminder of death and sadness. I felt closure on the boat ride. I felt closure when I looked into the ocean and knew that my grandpa was with my Heavenly Father. The ceremony was beautiful and I know I will never get to experience something like it again. I am so glad that I got to be a part of it with my family.

I love you Grandpa.


No comments:

Post a Comment