Wednesday, December 11, 2013

California Trip 2013

Like I wrote in the post before, we went to California this October for my Grandpa Dahm's memorial service. It was Camden's first trip on an airplane and I was a nervous wreck even thinking of the flight. I was especially nervous because Cody wouldn't be there to help me out. He had to stay home because of school and work. Cody is so much more patient with Camden than I am, I didn't really think I was going to be able to handle his wild and crazy self. Camden contained to one spot is usually horrible. It's really a chore to take him to dinner, or anywhere where he cannot freely run around. So, I was absolutely sure he was going to be a monster on the flight, and make a miserable trip for me, and all the other passengers. As we were at the airport I was unaware that you can actually bring the stroller with you to the gate and they can store it away on the airplane when you board the plane, like a carry-on. So I checked the stroller in at baggage claim and was left carrying Camden around the airport terminal. Which is awful, Camden would rather walk RUN than be carried. My brother and my Uncle Willie were with me, so it was a relief to have a bit of help! But he wildly ran around the airport terminal like a bat out of hell, and I was sure it would only get worse on the plane, and I was sure I was going to die of embarrassment or of an anxiety attach. To my amazement, Camden did amazing on the plane. We sat next to a window and I brought the Ipad with his (at the time) favorite movie "The Little Engine That Could" and videos of Cody pointing out body parts to keep Camden entertained. It worked, Cam was entertained the entire hour and a half. I was so so so impressed and RELIEVED! I did learn that you could bring the stroller to the plane, so our trip home was a lot less stressful in the airport. Plus on the way home I had the help of "Mimi" and "Papa". Which helped a lot. The flight home was also early in the morning, so Camden fell asleep majority of the flight. I was a happy mommy!
 A happy boy and Teddy on the plane.
 Our trip to California was short, but while we were there we did make sure to have some fun times, even though our main purpose was for my Grandpa. We were able to go check out the peer at Redono Beach, and got to play a little in the water. It was chilly, so Bubba was the only one to jump in the water. I probably wouldn't of jumped in anyway...rumors of sharks.. AH! Mimi bought Camden some sand toys and he had a blast! He loved chasing after the seagulls and building sandcastles. He loves to eat sand...I don't know what it is...but any chance he gets, he sticks his tongue right in the sand... weirdo.


We spent Saturday on the boat and at the Veterans Building with all of my grandpa's friends and family. Luckily there was a park there, so Camden was entertained. It was good to see family I hadn't seen in a long time and I was glad that they got to meet Camden. We were able to go to dinner one night with my Grandma, which was fun because I hadn't really seen her in such a long time. It was then that I really had a hard time, knowing that my grandpa should have been sitting right next to her.
Me and Camden on the ride. (Cam was a maniac!)
 
We visited my Grandma Janet, who is in a nursing home in Newhall, on Sunday. Everytime I see or talk to my Grandma I just know she is thrilled! She was especially excited to meet Camden. She was so happy when we walked in her room! We spent time chatting and taking pictures. Camden and Grandma Janet played a little game of telephone with the remotes for the bed. Camden really knows how to ham it up when meeting new people. He was a cute boy! My grandma made sure everyone in the hospital knew that we were her family and the Camden was her GREAT Grandson. She was one proud grandma.


I also love the time I got to spend with my brother this trip. As we have gotten older we have less time to spend together. As much as I am mean to him and get on his nerves, I really do love that kid to death. We may disagree on majority of things, and I know he thinks that I am the biggest brat in the world, but I am glad that I got to spend the weekend with him...even if I did have to share my hotel room with him and he talks loudly in his sleep.....

It was a good weekend.
 Life is short, spend it with the people you love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment