Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Camden's Baby Blessing

This Sunday was such a special day for my little family. Camden was blessed by his Daddy. For most people this day is a special one, but for us I feel like it might have been a little bit more.

When we found out we were pregnant, Cody and I had no doubt in our mind that we wanted to get married. I had known for awhile that Cody was the person I wanted to spend forever with. Although our relationship hadn't become too serious yet, I just had the feeling that he was "the one". I just had no idea that things would move along as quickly as they did. When we found out that we were going to be parents it really gave us the big push that we needed to get serious, and decide what we wanted to do. We both agreed on the same thing. It wasn't even scary, we just knew what the right thing was and we jumped on board! Not too long after, we were married! Even though being married bonded us for a lifetime, it wasn't/isn't enough for us. We decided right away that we were going to prepare to be sealed for time and all eternity in the temple. It wasn't really a challenge for us to get on the right track. Cody and I weren't too far from where we wanted to be. But we still had to make some changes from our lives before we were married, and obviously we had to wait a full year from our civil wedding date. Prior to our marriage, I wasn't very active in the church. Not because I didn't believe, or that I had any doubts. It mostly was because I knew I was living unworthily and I really didn't enjoy going to the singles ward. (Not saying singles wards are bad, they just weren't for me). But I always knew that the church is true, and that I wanted the gospel to be a part of mine and my families lives. Even at my lowest points, I always had a testimony. In actuality, I think my testimony grew more when I wasn't going to church every Sunday. I really learned from my mistakes and really saw how the gospel was needed in my life. It didn't take any convincing, Cody wanted to raise his family LDS, and so did I. It took some adjusting and some serious motivation to get us to church every Sunday. Or at least getting us to stay for the full three hour block, but after a few months, we got the hang of it.

So, why I am telling you my very personal information is because two weeks ago Cody was blessed with the Melchizedik priesthood. It was such a big thing for us. For me it really felt like we were reaching our goals, and that much closer to being sealed. I felt so proud of Cody. I have a husband with the Priesthood. I have a husband that can give my babies blessings on their first day of school. I have a husband that can give me a blessing when I am sick. How amazing is that? I remember once as a young woman, we had an activity to write all the qualities you wanted your future spouse to have. We were told to keep the list, and when we were dating someone to look to see if they possess those qualities. Of coarse all the girls wrote mostly the same things; LDS, a worthy priesthood holder, handsome, funny, etc. For some reason it always stuck with me. Who did I want to marry and what qualities did I want him to have? As a teenage girl who was an active member of the church, I always knew exactly what I wanted and because of that as an adult that's who I found. Although it took some getting there, he got there. Me, and my teenage self are ecstatic!

Cody did an awesome job blessing our little boy. I could barely hold the tears in. It was such a great day! I am so happy that Cody got this chance. I am so glad we waited til Camden was almost 4 months old to bless him. It would have been a special day even if he was blessed by someone else. It was just a huge step for us to have Cody do it. (I wish I could convince Cody to get on here and write how he felt). ONE STEP CLOSER TO ETERNITY.

I was so thankful for my friends and family who came. Even though it was early in the morning and having to get ready and make it on time to nine o'clock church is almost impossible! It really meant a lot to us that we had so many people who love and support us there! (Plus I always love seeing my dad and brother all dressed up). We did some more celebrating after the meeting at Kim and Ilene's house. All in all, it was a success.







3 comments:

  1. KIRSTEN!
    I absolutely LOVE this. and I am SO proud of you and Cody! I was getting a little teary eyed at reading this sweet post! I seriously am way happy for you and your cute little family. Congrats on everything. You guys are amazing! Love you!!
    xoxo Catelin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cate, you are the sweetest! Thank you so much! I love reading about you and your hubby! I seriously feel like we still hang out all the time just by reading your blog! haha! Miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten! I feel so elated for you and where you and Cody are heading with your darling, oh so perfect family. what a beautiful gift we all have, to spend eternity with the ones we care for and love the most. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete